- Head control. Your baby needs to be able to keep his head in a steady, upright position.
- Losing the "extrusion reflex." To keep solid food in his mouth and then swallow it, your baby needs to stop using his tongue to push food out of his mouth.
- Sitting well when supported. Even if he's not quite ready for a highchair, your baby needs to be able to sit upright to swallow well.
- Chewing motions. Your baby's mouth and tongue develop in sync with his digestive system. To start solids, he should be able to move food to the back of his mouth and swallow. As he learns to swallow efficiently, you may notice less drooling – though if your baby's teething, you might still see a lot of drool.
- Significant weight gain. Most babies are ready to eat solids when they've doubled their birth weight (or weigh about 15 pounds) and are at least 4 months old.
* Growing appetite. He seems hungry – even with eight to ten feedings of breast milk or formula a day.
- Curiosity about what you're eating. Your baby may begin eyeing your bowl of cereal or reaching for a forkful of pasta as it travels from your plate to your mouth.
This is an exciting milestone! You can finally use all those cute spoons and bowls that have been sitting in your cabinet in anticipation for this day! Or maybe you need advice on some of the best products out there. We had our moms weigh in on their favorites.
The Squirt baby food dispensing spoon is a top contender because it allows for convenient feeding, one bite at a time. The easy-to-fill bulb holds up to 3 ounces of baby food and attaches firmly to the spoon end. By combining the spoon and food container into one product, Squirt makes one-handed or on-the-go feedings a snap.
Known for their Petroleum free products that are made from plants, Green Sprouts Sprout Ware Infant Spoons curved handle makes feeding baby easy. These multi-use disposable spoons are dishwasher safe, top rack only and up to 10 washings, or you can hand wash for longer life.
As your baby grows and is able to eat on his own, Green Sprouts has Sprout Ware Forks & Spoons that are right-sized for toddlers. Like their Infant spoons, these multi-use disposable utensils are dishwasher safe - top rack only and up to 10 washings, or you can hand wash to extend their usage.
When first-time eaters start using utensils, their motor skills are not fully developed. Benders Adaptable Utensils were designed to help make the transition to regular utensils a little easier. Parents can position the adjustable end to the perfect angle to accommodate the child’s grip. As motor skills develop, adjust little by little, until straightened.
According to our moms, these spoons also kept their babies sweet faces the neatest and were the easiest to use.
A favorite among bowls, is the Green Sprouts Sprout Ware Plate/Bowl Set which have a deep, divided bowl with 3 sections, and a plate that doubles as a travel lid. These multi-use disposable Plates & Bowls are dishwasher safe (top rack only and up to 10 washings) or hand wash for longer life.
One of the best parts to your child eating solids is their new found freedom to feed themselves. They'll love the feeling of independence as they're able to feed themselves snacks from these handy snack containers.
The Snack Ball by Boon is truly a amazing container that doubles as a toy. It's tough, so snacks don't get crushed. The two halves unscrew, so cleaning is super easy. The lid rotates shut, so snacks don't jump ship. And it's great for travel or a game of catch!
Another brilliant innovation is the Stack-N-Seal by Innobaby. This all-in-one storage solution for moms on-the-go is now designed to store both liquids & dry food! This must-have diaper bag essential helps store, dispense and organize formula, cereal, snacks, water, extra juice, pacifiers and more in one convenient unit. Put an end to a diaper bag mess or endless search for the items you need. Its twist-to-seal design allows you to stack and interlock multiple containers while the quality construction allows each use as simple as it can be!
To order any of our feeding products online, please visit our website or call us at (818) 380-3111. You can also feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Visit us at:
16101 Ventura Blvd. Suite 230
Encino, CA. 91436p. (818) 380-3111 w. shopthehaven.com