Skip to main content

Featured Staff - Terri O'Donnell


Our next interview is with Terri O'Donnell - Manager Extraordinaire!
You all may know Terri as the "mom" of the store since she's the go-to person for everything ranging from classes to nursing bras to carriers! Terri is a master of keeping things running smoothly and under control here at A Mother's Haven and we're so grateful to have her here!

What do you think makes A Mother's Haven different from other baby boutiques?
It's more than a store - it's really an educational center with incredible customer service. Our classes take you from pregnancy to the first few years of your child's life so it's an incredible resource for moms and families in general.

What would you say is the best part about working at A Mother's Haven?
I love the feeling of knowing you've helped someone. Working at A Mother's Haven really gives you the chance to make a difference in someone's life. Often new moms come in here confused and scared of the unknown and it's so rewarding to be able to ease those fears and be able to alleviate whatever stress or challenge they're going through. There's also just a general happy atmosphere here - a sense of new beginnings.

AMH: What is your philosophy on birth and parenting?
Do what works for you. There's no outline for parenting and every child is as different as you and I. Don't stress and do what feels right from the heart.

AMH: How would you describe yourself in 5 words or less?
Caring, compassionate, funny, diligent...

AMH: What inspires you?
Nothing. OK, you can add 'uninspired' to my list of 5 words. (She laughs)
I guess you could say I'm a fixer, I like to create - whether it's cooking or something artistic... I'm inspired by opportunities that allow me to be creative.

AMH: How do you stay current on everything at the store? Any outside research?
Osmosis? Honestly, I like getting feedback from customers about products that work for them - that way I feel comfortable recommending it to others. I'll also go online and research products a customer will mention to learn more about what's new.

AMH: What products/resources would you recommend to new or expecting moms?
Our Mothers' Gathering class is definitely the best thing I'd recommend to new moms. It's a lifesaver. Product wise, I think the Moby Wrap is fantastic and the Aden & Anais blankets are incredible!

AMH: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
That I have seven grandchildren! (Daughter Jamie has 3 kids, and daughter Mandi has 4.)

AMH: Favorite hobby? pastime?
I love musical theater! Les Miserables is my favorite. I also really enjoy reading novels. A recent favorite is The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

AMH: Favorite spot in LA?
Newport Beach. I love the atmosphere, the beach, people watching, shopping - it's very relaxing. I would spend every weekend there if I could.

AMH: Favorite place to travel?
I enjoy seeing new places. Next on my list are Switzerland, Norway, Germany, Italy... Let's just say Europe.

AMH: Favorite advice to give new/expecting moms?
This too will pass! Truthfully, every stage is incredible and yet a big pain in the butt. You can't wait for your baby to start walking and then when they do, you have to chase them around and think 'why can't they just sit still?' You can't wait for them to start talking, and then they won't stop. You get the idea. But all those moments are what makes the journey of motherhood so amazing.

*******************************************************************************


Terri O'Donnell began her career in customer service while still a student in high school. After spending 5 years as a sales manager at Staples (where she was ranked #18 in over 3000 stores!), Terri was ready to leave the corporate world behind and find her new home. She's been enjoying helping moms and babies at A Mother's Haven for over 5 years and we're proud to have her as a member of our AMH family.

You can learn more about A Mother's Haven on our website. To contact us, please call
(818) 380-3111 or email us at info@shopthehaven.com

Check out some of our other Featured Instructor and Staff interviews:

Synthia Praglin - teaches Mothers' Gathering

Lauren Ryan - teaches Supported Birth and Caring For Your Newborn

Danielle Vorzimer - teaches Mothers' Gathering

Leslye Adelman - teaches the Prepared Childbirth One-Day Intensives, the Breastfeeding 101 prenatal workshops, and the Caring For Your Newborn. She also facilitates our weekly Breastfeeding Support Group, and is available for private Lactation Consults

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do I clean my Medela pump tubing?

We get a lot of moms coming in asking about cleaning their Medela breastpump tubing , whether for the Symphony hospital-grade rental pump , the Medela Freestyle pump or for the personal-grade Pump In Style Advanced breastpump. One thing to note, milk shouldn't normally be going into your Medela tubing when you pump.  If you see milk coming back into the tubing, make sure of two things: 1. Your pumping bottles are upright while you're pumping and 2. Your valves and membranes are attached fully, and that they don't have any holes or cuts.  Only air is supposed to go through the tubes. Every time after you pump, disconnect (and clean) all of your pump parts, but leave the tubing connected. Let your pump keep running for another 5-10 minutes with just the tubing connected - this will usually get rid of any little bit of milk or condensation. If you do see some milk in your tubing after letting the pump run, you can clean your tubes by: 1. Holding the tubing upright

More Milk Plus & More Milk Special Blend

Many breastfeeding moms worry about whether or not they are making enough milk for their new baby.  One thing that you can do to help with improving your milk supply is to take the More Milk supplements from Motherlove .  But which of the different supplements to take? First Decision - Capsules vs. Liquid Drops - Moms tend to agree that the liquid drops taste horrible!  So most people do buy the capsules, for ease and convenience. - But the liquid drops are slightly more effective because the herbs are able to get into your system faster and more directly, so if you can handle the taste, you might want to buy the liquid. Second Decision - More Milk Plus vs. Special Blend - Both the More Milk Plus and the More Milk Special Blend contain fenugreek seed, blessed thistle, nettle, and fennel seed - all of which are galactagogue (or milk-increasing) herbs.  The More Milk Plus works for most women whose milk supply has decreased due to growth spurts, separation, illness, or stress.

What I Resolve to do in 2018 as a Mom

We are almost a week into 2018, yet I am still editing, finalizing and procrastinating on my New Year’s Resolutions.  Many have already juiced and cleansed.  Some have worked out for five consecutive days. And few have vowed to never drink wine again (good for you!). While I am still ironing out the details of some of my personal resolutions e.g. more vegetables in my diet, and save money for a European vacation, (and perhaps procrastinate less!) I am pretty crystal clear on what I want to improve on in 2018 as a mother and hopefully lasting changes as an overall parent.  Here are my top 4 Mom-o-lutions: I am like the paparazzi when it comes to my kids.  Whether they’re scoring a soccer goal, eating ice cream, building a sand castle, making a silly face, or simply just breathing, I am constantly taking their photos.  Yet, when I looked back in the last years photo reel, there were so few photos of me with my kids.  And I wish I had more.   Ten years from now, I want to be ab